Bruce Jenner has released a statement to extend his “deepest sympathy” after escaping unscathed from a car crash which left one woman dead during the weekend.
The collision, which involved four cars, happened in Malibu on Saturday, and left one dead and seven others injured.
In a statement released to Us weekly, the 65-year-old said: “My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident.
“It is a devastating tragedy and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them. I will continue to cooperate in every way possible.”
It is not yet fully known what the cause of the crash was, although it is reported that Bruce rear-ended a white Lexus on the Pacific Coast Highway, after the Lexus driver had rear-ended a Toyota Prius.
It was the Lexus driver who tragically lost her life in the incident, after her car went into oncoming traffic and was struck by a Hummer.
Five children were thought to have been taken to hospital following the incident, with all seven of the survivors sustaining injuries – from moderate to severe.
The former Olympic athlete initially told police that he was being chased by paparazzi, but investigators have now told CNN that there’s no sign that any photographers played a part in the fatal accident.
Lt. John Lecrivain from the LA County Sheriff’s Department released a statement commenting on the paparazzi allegations, which said: “As of right now, there is no indication that Bruce Jenner was being chased by paparazzi at the time of the crash.
“There was a possibility that paparazzi was following him at the time of the crash, but that is a very regular occurrence, and (there is) no indication at this time it was a contributing factor of the crash.”
Bruce passed a sobriety test after the incident and voluntarily submitted a blood sample.
The Los Angeles Times reports that police will also be examining Bruce’s mobile phone records, as well as records from the others involved, to determine whether or not any of them had been using their phones illegally at the time of the crash.
Eyewitness Nando Esquivias said of the incident: “Bruce Jenner was in a bad accident in Malibu, he’s alright but others involved, not so much.”
Soon after the crash, Bruce’s son, Brody Jenner, rushed to be by his shaken dad’s side, with his girlfriend Kaitlynn Carter.
Law enforcement have already determined that Bruce was not speeding, according to TMZ.
[Bruce Jenner Involved In Fatal Car Crash, Walks Away Unscathed]
[Bruce Jenner Accused Of Using His Transition To Sell A TV Show]