Despite James Blunt’s hilarious attempt to convince people he’d be taking to the Pyramid Stage as next Friday’s Glastonbury headliner, it’s been confirmed that it’s actually Florence and the Machine who’ll be replacing Foo Fighters on stage.
The Foo Fighters were forced to cancel their headline slot after Dave Grohl broke his leg in a nasty stage incident during their show in Gothenburg, Sweden.
We’re wishing him a super speedy recovery.
The exciting replacement was announced on Glastonbury’s Twitter, which read: “We’re very pleased to announce that Florence + The Machine will play the Friday night Pyramid headline slot.”
They then linked to their site, where an official statement from organiser Emily Eavis said: “Once we heard the sad news that Foo Fighters had been forced to pull out, there was only one person we wanted to call and that was Florence.
“Every time she has played here she’s done something spectacular and we always knew she would headline the Pyramid one day. I’m delighted she’s agreed to step up to it – she’s going to smash it!”
She echoed that excitement on her own Twitter, where she wrote: “So happy Florence is going to step up to headline Friday night.”
Florence was originally set to perform just before Foo Fighters, so we cannot WAIT to see what she’ll have up her sleeve for the nerve-wrecking and amazing headline slot!
Foo Fighters announced the sad news that they had to cancel their Glastonbury slot and the rest of their UK and european tour in a statement on their website, which read: “Due to injuries sustained in Dave Grohl’s fall from the stage during Foo Fighters’ June 12 show at Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, Sweden, doctors have required the cancellation of the remainder of the band’s dates in the UK and Europe.
“After undergoing surgery Monday, Dave’s full recuperation time is still to be determined.
“It was previously announced that Foo Fighters’ June 14 appearance at the Pinkpop Festival and June 16 show at the AFG Arena in St. Gallen, Switzerland were cancelled. The following dates have now been cancelled as well: June 19 & 20 – London, UK – Wembley Stadium; June 23 – Edinburgh, UK – BT Murrayfield Stadium; June 25 – Werchter, Belgium – Festivalpark Werchter; June 26 – Glastonbury Festival 2015.”
Dave himself then shared his own personal heartbreaking message on the site, explaining exactly what happened in the incident, before continuing on to say: “Here’s the not so witty bit…….
“My doctors have advised me to lay low for a while. The most important thing now is for me to recover from the surgery, to keep my leg elevated so as to keep swelling down and prevent any infection/complication that could do long term damage. I’m not out of the woods yet, folks…
“Which means, and it kills me to say it…..the doctors have told us to cancel shows. I’m really so sorry, guys. You know I hate to do it, but I’m afraid it’s just not physically possible for me at the moment. We’re doing our best right now to work out a plan, so bear with us. You know we’re good for our word. But for now, I need to make sure we have YEARS of gigs ahead of us….
“You have always stood by our band, and we will always stand by you. Like I say at every show, we wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you guys. And I mean that. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And I will do everything I can to come back and give you a night to remember for the rest of your lives AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
“Until then…my sincerest apologies. Your friend, Dave
“PS…….Kanye…..Imma let you have this one…..”
Glastonbury Festival later tweeted to wish Dave all the best, telling festival-goers that the new Friday night headliner will be announced soon – and soon, it was!
Get well soon, Dave, and GOOD LUCK, Florence, for your headline slot!
[Kanye West To Headline Glastonbury Festival 2015]
[Glastonbury 2015 Line-Up: Pharrell Williams, Florence & The Machine, FKA Twigs And More]