You might not have had the best time at school, your parents probably worried about the kind of music you listened to and no-one really understood you – being a goth isn't easy.
But today is your day. On world Goth Day we rounded up just some of the reasons why life is that bit better when you operate outside the norm.
No jokes, no name calling – here are 11 legitimate reasons why being a goth is pretty darn cool.
1. The pale look is en vogue and as we hear more and more about the negative effects of the sun you're safe in the knowledge that you probably won't get skin cancer.
2. Goth style is awesome. Dark lips, heavy eyeliner, black nail varnish, Dr. Martens, fishnets, lace – what's not to love?
3. Skulls. Everywhere.
4. Robert Smith is your spirit animal and that's okay.
5. In fact, goth music in general is really rather good. Joy Division, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke – we could go on.
6. You have the right, nay the duty, to cover yourself in cool tattoos of hearts, daggers, swallows, roses and of course skulls.
7. You have piercings that the rest of the world are too scared to get.
8. You can recite deeply profound song lyrics at the drop of a hat. Mainly because you used to painstakingly paint them on to your school bag with Tipp-Ex.
9. The works of Tim Burton were made for you. You've probably got a Jack Skellington and Sally tattoo and a cat called Beetlejuice.
10. You have the license to dye your hair any colour you want, whenever you want, all in the name of experimentation. But you always end up going back to black. Well it does go with everything.
11. Some of the coolest fictional characters are goths – Morticia and Wednesday Adams, Edward Scissorhands, Marceline the Vampire Queen, Dracula.
So goths, we salute you. Don't ever stop being that oddball in the corner making all the boring people uncomfortable.