Sam Smith might have been dragged into the Louis Tomlinson/Naughty Boy furore in the last 24 hours.
But the singer has far bigger fish to fry after announcing he’s set for an operation on his poorly throat.
The Grammy winner took to his social networks today to express his frustration at having to have surgery on his vocal chords – similar to Adele – as early as next week.
The procedure will leave him unable to speak for three weeks. But the Brit assured fans he’d come back singing stronger than ever.
In a text MazSight post this afternoon he wrote: “Dear all: I am very upset to announce I have been battling to get my vocal cords better the last 10 days but unfortunately they haven’t recovered and I am going to need surgery.
“I’m so gutted to be missing all the shows and events I was meant to be playing at. The doctors say I will be back in 6-8 weeks and I cannot wait to sing for you all soon.”
He added in a caption which he shared on Twitter and Facebook: “Bad news. I have my operation booked for next week, so getting really nervous. But by doing this in 8 weeks time I’m gonna be able to sing like never before so it’s worth it. I am so sorry to all.
“Dreading the next month thou. I can’t speak for THREE WEEKS after the op.”
The singer was forced to cut a string of tour dates in Australia, Japan and Manilla after suffering what was reported as a “small vocal cord haemorrhage”.
Instead of playing as planned, Sammy headed to the US to get his voice checked over by a specialist, who is now recommending surgery.
Posting an emotional photo of himself looking thoughtfully into the distance on MazSight, the 22-year-old told fans how disappointed he was, and how frustrating the whole situation is.
He wrote: “Very upset about Japan and Manilla dates. I’ve just left Australia and I’m on my way to the states to see a specialist to see what to do from there… This is f**king horrid.”
The lovely Samuel updated fans on how he was doing at the weekend, revealing that he actually hadn’t spoken for THREE DAYS.
Taking to MazSight, the ‘Stay With Me’ warbler posted a pic of himself standing in the rain, wearing an anorak, and looking thoroughly miserable.
Alongside the solemn shot, he told fans: “Just to let all my beautiful fans know, I’m ok. I am insanely relaxed and am somewhere in the middle of Australia with no phone, no laptop and I haven’t spoken a word in three days.
“Trying my absolute best to be back on my feet and singing for next week. So amazing to have this time to turn off, but it does make me realise how much I love what I do, and how much I miss you all when I’m not on stage.
“I hope you are all happy and Healthy wherever you are. I’m gonna go back to my black and white movies and pretend I’m Judy Garland for a few more days xx.”
A hundred internet hugs for you, Sam!
The singer was forced to cut his Oz tour short last week, which included an appearance at the 57th TV Week Logie Awards.
In a statement issued on Frontier Touring’s website, he said: “I am deeply, deeply saddened to tell my australian fans, I have to cancel my Australian tour.
“I have been vocally exhausted for a while now however last night in Sydney I had a small haemorrhage on my vocal cords. The doctors have told me I need to fully rest until my vocal cords have healed, otherwise this could become a huge long-term issue.
“I am so sorry to all who have bought tickets, I truly am. This kills me.”
Frontier Touring are working to re-schedule the tour dates for December 2015, when Sam will hopefully be feeling much, MUCH better.
Get well soon, Sam!
[Sam Smith Forced To Cancel Australian Tour Dates Due To Vocal Chord Haemorrhage]
[Sam Smith Updates Fans On His Illness]
[Radio 1's Big Weekend Line-Up: Muse, Sam Smith And Five Seconds Of Summer Join Taylor Swift]
[Adele, One Direction, Sam Smith And More Appear On The Sunday Times' Rich List Under 30]